Patch 1B 5V5 Top Lane Grumpjaw Utility Coaching Session by Jiminator
This page has been restored from our old website everlastingnight.net.
Published on 2021/02/14
- Coach: Jiminator
- Type: Match Analysis
- Gameplay here:
READ BEFORE WE BEGIN
I will say this, you deserve to be higher ranked than T8. Overall u played pretty well, especially mechanically. Your decision making during laning was the weakest, but ur teamfighting was pretty good. Overall I think if ranked system still existed, you would reach T10 after u learn how to lane and control minion waves better but that comes with practice. I made a TL:DR but I Highly suggest you read the full analysis. If you have any questions or want to go over this more in detail, dm me on discord.I may look like I am nitpicking your gameplay below, but I want you to notice ur small mistakes so you make less of them in the future. I also recommend we try to schedule a voice call once to go over any specific laning questions u might have as I understand this concept is foreign to a lot of vg players even in T10, but these concepts are the most important for top laners. Thank you for letting me coach you and for being my first student as a coach.
Laning Phase (weakest)
1. Okay I know u are purposely picking grump since that is waht the coaching is about, but you are picking grumpjaw into a rly hard team comp. Ideally u want to pick grump into bot lane heroes that can’t rly dodge ur ult rly well. Gwen is an example of this, but it turns out u go against a vox which is a interesting matchup. Your team comp does have good synergy
2. always buy book and light armor unless you know they are going cp bot (which is rare). If you had light armor u would not have ended up trading each other, but instead would have probably come out on top.
3. The thing is vox is a rly strong lane bully since he can set a freeze and hard shove exactly when he needs too. Your opening is decent opening, but I think u should ward bush closer to his jungle so u will know if koshka is coming. recommend you instead let vox push wave 1 into your turret(make sure to stay in range for xp). As the wave is about to go into turret range, you should hit level 2. Use this timing to all-in him to burn his flask/ zone him off of the wave. The minions on his side should aggro onto you, but u outdamage him way too much. This should prevent the wave from crashing into your turret, so you now have a freeze. Hold the freeze by resetting minion aggro and only last hitting. If he walks up the wave, you all-in with B first, and when he dashes follow up with A if you havent seen koshka with the ward.
4. 2:24 Your first trade was good u took way too much damage shortly after. If you waited for yourself to hit lvl 2 first after that first trade, and then all-in, it would have been much better.
5. 3:12 The vox trolled his positioning and it is good u took advatage, but once u see his flask, do not hit him anymore. grumpjaw’s damage never burns through the flask shield unless the guy holds his ground (most of the time doesnt happen). What u should have done after forcing the flask is to jsut run back without taking turret damage, stop the wave from crashing into ur turret(Vox can’t walk up or do anything about u staying in the wave as he has no flask and u do). Vox is probably recalling so u should trim his wave just enough so the wave stays exactly in the same spot ( this takes practice and reading minon lane states overtime. In this case, make it so his wave has about one or two miniosn more than u do as ur wave is closer to ur side so ur reinforcement minions reach ur side of the lane quicker). You should then reset, then buy sprint boots and another item. If everything goes according to plan, what should happen is that u maintain a freeze (maybe slighlty pushing towards ur turret a bit, but it shouldnt matter), Vox has no flask so he can’t walk up(if he walks up u all-in with boots to force his boots cooldown). Vox at this point should not be able to play the game anymore as he can’t farm without his jungler coming to unlock the freeze. If you spot the jungler on the ward, hard shove as much as you can and then play under turret. Dying as a top laner is worse than dying as bot laner, as vox will eventually outscale and farm up, while you will fall behind late game.
6. 4:02 always buy boots first back. boots is super valuable as grumpjaw because it allows u to do ur best all-in combo. ITs good u tell glaive to not touch the wave, but u end up smacking ur wave with ur A which was unnecessary. This vox seems to not understand how to play around potential freezes and he doesnt respect ur damage.
7. 4:44 Right here. If you had A up and boots, Vox is fucked. alwasy check if vox has boots, if he does, you could use ur dash abilities to force it out right here without using ur own boots. If he doesn’t, u can kill him if you have boots. This is why boots is so OP on grump. U know he has no flask as he used it around the same time u did, so this was a golden oppurtunity to take him out of the game.
8. Ur trading is decent, but only dash on to ur opponent if u have ur B up as his basic attacks only do alot of damage with the B buff.
9. 5:28 good invade, but u should also take the time to ward the goldoak and red buff by putting it in the bush between the two treants. its super valuable to know where th enemy jungler is, and if u guys see him on ur topside, your bot laner knows he can be more aggressive.
10. 5:50 I have no clue why vox used flask right there, but once u see it RUN. hes going to outrade u if u stay anyways so wait out the flask shield and then all in again. Flask heal isnt that strong but the shield is. also u take way too much damage on ur way out. dont bother hitting the wave, hes going to shove back into u anyways since he has more wave clear
11. By doing what u did earlier in point 10, u gave vox the only situation where it is good for him to shove into you, as you are too low too all in (if he didnt pop flask for some reason). 6:45 see if u had boots, hes dead. With boots u can misplay so many times and still end up getting a solo kill since grumpjaw early is so god damn strong. I think at this point u should know what u are doing wrong. U aren’t playing around the minon waves and taking unnecessary trades during questionable timings. The good thing is ur mechanics on grump is pretty good, and u rarely ever mechanically misplay.
12. 8:10 Eat koshka right here and drop her out under turret early (maybe after 1.5 seconds so her B movespeed wears down.) she should be dead or forced to leave the lane. 13. 8:20 So u misplay right here. this eat time was decent but u paniced when vox started to all-in stupidly. if u see that, lets vox take the turrets shots, drop koshka down 1.5 secs later so B move speed goes away and then A her, she shoudl be dead and Vox has to move away as he can’t take too many turret shots.. dashing into the turret with ur A was a mistake as koshka was not slowed so she coudl escape. 14. Ur taking WAY too much damage for no reason. there was no need to even pop flask, just back off and reset. Koshka is near anyways and there is no way in hell u can outclear a fkn vox.also if u had boots u would have lived.
13. 8:20 So u misplay right here. this eat time was decent but u paniced when vox started to all-in stupidly. if u see that, lets vox take the turrets shots, drop koshka down 1.5 secs later so B move speed goes away and then A her, she shoudl be dead and Vox has to move away as he can’t take too many turret shots.. dashing into the turret with ur A was a mistake as koshka was not slowed so she coudl escape.
14. Ur taking WAY too much damage for no reason. there was no need to even pop flask, just back off and reset. Koshka is near anyways and there is no way in hell u can outclear a fkn vox.also if u had boots u would have lived.
Post Laning Phase(ends when the first turret goes down on either side of your lane)
15. 9:50 ping ur MIAs u saw vox rotate down so ping it. Since u lost ur turret u rly need to freeze the wave instead of pushing up. Only push if u see Vox or the rest of his team show up on a diff side of the map as if u get ambushed there is nothing u can do.
16. 10:30 See even if u get a good trade against vox, u get ambushed by koshka and u have nowhere to go. once u were caught dont throw ur ult away as that is a key cooldown u have to play around. I guess if you were playing in a VC and u hit ur ult AND u had boots was to tell ur mid and supp to come to u and once u eat koshka dash right towards him. yates gets read to chain cc as soon as u drop koshka, that will buy time for u to pop flask if need and u might even get a pick. But that is requiring perfect teamwork and map awareness from u teammtes
17. 11:30 decent try (u played mechanically very well), but hes too far ahead for u to win consistently (notice how he won the trade even when he missed a point blank ult XD)
18 13:00 OOF Nice try. I am actually suprised how little damage vox does to you lmao. Idk why he keeps missing his ults, but he also might have killed u since he still had flask.
19. 14:30 Ok that was very clean. Good job having the clear head to kill treant to ensure u can win the trade. and u also managed ur cooldowns pretty well. Also notice how easier it is to get kills with boots.
20. 15:40 lmao good escape
21. 17:30 dont try chasing a CP skye unless u get the jump on her, shes too mobile. Also lyra counters u very hard so u have to wait out the lyra B before using any of ur dashes. good escape against tho, you didnt need to block though and u should save it for koshka ult if she had it u were dead.
22. 18:27 dont forget about Lyra B!.
23. 18:50 good awareness to ult the vox for another key pick. also good front to back teamfighting. you didnt need to crucible tho
24 19:15 u should ping the obejctives and do them (in this case ghostwing) after a team wipe. or u can split push on ur own, but make sure ur team does the objectives.
25. 19:56 dont forget about the lyra B. also dont try to fight 1v2 if one of them is a healer, ur not gonna be able to kill them. it worked out tho cuz ur team was much farther ahead and the koshka was so far behind she couldnt kill u.
26. 21:10 check enemy builds always before making defense purchases. not saying it wasn’t the right choice tho, since skye seems to be the only threat now
27. 22:22 not sure what happened here, maybe u pressed the ult button twice by mistake, but unlucky i guess. Still worked out cuz u bought a shit ton of space for your team andu r team is so ahead. Atlas next time though when u dive into the team.
28. 24:28 at this point it doesnt matter what u do as they are too weak to kill you. But you didnt need to boots once u ate her as skye’s team already bailed on her.
When playing against any bot hero other than kestrel or caine, think about how u can checkmate the enemy laner by putting in situations where they can’t walk up to farm. Try to setup freezes and hard shove when the enemy laner recalls. If you have any questions on how to do any of these laning techniques, you can ask me or go on youtube and watch yourdoomsday or league of legends players explain how these techniques work. Overall, you did pretty well and I you now better understand how to play grumpjaw! GLHF